Susan Wendel, PhD
Associate Professor of New Testament
Dean of the Seminary
- Introductory Greek, Greek Syntax and Exegesis
- Women and Vocation
- Use of the Old Testament in the New Testament
- Acts of the Apostles
- Pauline Epistles
Engagement of the whole person in the study of the scriptures involves both theory and practice, and ultimately depends upon an encounter with the God to whom the biblical texts attest.
When teaching the scriptures, I want to invite people into a learning process that engages the whole person. I aim to equip learners to become skilled interpreters of the biblical text, but I also want to encourage consideration of the relevance of the scriptures for everyday life. In short, engagement of the whole person in the study of the scriptures involves both theory and practice, and ultimately depends upon an encounter with the God to whom the biblical texts attest.
I am married to Bruce Wendel, and we are the proud parents of four adult children. Both Bruce and I are graduates of Briercrest Seminary and have served the Church in various formal and informal capacities over the past 25 years.
PhD, McMaster University, 2009
MA, Briercrest College and Seminary, 2004
BEd, University of Regina, 2003
Diploma, Dietary Technology, SAIT, 1985
Early Jewish and Christian Exegesis
Early Christian Apologists
- ed., Torah Ethics and Early Christian Identity. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2016.
- "Torah-Obedience and Early Christian Ethical Practices in the Writings of Justin Martyr." Pages 177-191 in Torah Ethics and Early Christian Identity. Edited by Susan J. Wendel and David M. Miller. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2016.
- Review of Jesus Is the Christ: The Messianic Testimony of the Gospels (by Michael F. Bird) RBL [http://www.bookreviews.org] (2015).
- Scriptural Interpretation and Community Self-Definition in Luke-Acts and the Writings of Justin Martyr. Supplements to Novum Testamentum 139. Leiden: Brill, 2011.
- "Interpreting the Descent of the Spirit: A Comparison of Justin's Dialogue with Trypho and Luke-Acts." Pages 95-103 in Justin Martyr and His Worlds. Edited by Sara Parvis and Paul Foster. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2007.